What is CRWP?
The College-Ready Writers Program provides scaffolded teaching and formative assessment resources that support the development of students’ argument writing and prepares youth for college, career, and community engagement.
Research has shown that up to 45 hours of job-embedded professional learning along with engaging in 4 cycles of writing impacts positively student reading and writing growth. Integrity to key CRWP design principles has been identified as central to consistent implementation.
Purpose: To improve the argument writing of students in grades 7-10 by introducing teachers to new instructional practices and engaging students in complex reading and argumentative writing. CRWP has been shown to effect student outcomes on a particularly complex task—writing an argument supported by reasoning and developed through the use of evidence from source material.
Design: District leadership teams will learn through study and implementation of CRWP and collaborative collection and assessment of data to design teacher pathways for scale up.
Participants commit to attend and implement:
- August 7 half day launch with district leader
- August 8-10 CRWP Summer Institute
- 5 Saturday cohort sessions
- 30 hours of internal and external professional development
- Implement 4 cycles of writing
- Collect and analyze student data
- Select and register team
- Recommend common conference hour for teacher implementers
Who: District team consisting of 1-2 MS and 1-2 HS ELA and curriculum administrator or instructional coach.
Cohort Summer Launch
August 7-10, 2017, 9AM – 3 PM
*August 7th half-day overview session for district leader
CRWP Lesson & Data Study Saturdays, 8 AM – 2PM
- November 11, 2017
- December 9, 2017
- February 3, 2018
- March 3, 2018
- May 12, 2018
Virtual Thinking Partner Check-ins
- Monthly Team Leader check-in calls
- 1 to 1 calls
- Small group virtual hangouts
- August launch sessions: Oakland Schools Technical Northwest Campus, 8211 Big Lake Rd., Clarkston, MI
- Saturday Sessions, Oakland Schools Main Campus