New to AARI?
Join us for a full year of professional learning that includes:
5-day Summer Institute
AND a minimum of 15 additional hours during the school year. Choose from:
- 5 Design Studios
- 10 Learning Labs – in-person and virtual options available
- 9 Virtual Meetups
PLUS 2 (minimum) job-embedded coaching sessions
Self-paced, online QRI modules
State required clock hours (SCECHs) available
New AARI Educator Learning Dates
Advanced AARI (Grades 3-12), Day 1 of 2
Presenter: Dalyce Beegle, MAT, Educational Consultant
What is AARI?
The Adolescent Accelerated Reading Initiative (AARI) is a Tier 2/3 (MTSS) short-term, intensive intervention that accelerates reading comprehension and critical thinking in informational text. AARI is for general and special education students in grades three through twelve and English Learners with a minimum overall WIDA proficiency score of 3.0. The instructional framework is built on evidence-based strategies and culture-centered research.
How does AARI work?
AARI focuses on critical thinking with informational text to help students access content from texts.
AARI emphasizes small group instruction that meets students where they are and accelerates their reading through instruction built around:
- Text-Based Inferencing and Critical Thinking
- Question Answer Relationship (QAR) and Questioning the Author (QtA)
- Text Structure
AARI seeks to support students in building more positive reader identities that empower them in all aspects of their lives.
What are the required elements for successful AARI implementation?
- Small groups based on reading levels
- Daily instruction
- Student growth measured by pre/post Qualitative Reading Inventory
- Ongoing professional learning for all AARI educators that includes coaching, after-school support, and learning labs
- Administrative support in scheduling small classes and release time for assessing students
What is the Teaching Approach?
- Responsive teaching
- Asking inferential questions that stretch students’ thinking
- Text analysis through text structures
- Moving students to independence
- Building community
Who would benefit from AARI?
- At-risk, general education students reading below grade level
- Students receiving special education services
- Long-term English Learners
Interested In Finding Out More?
- Contact Jill Maneice
- Attend an Observation Day
- Attend the AARI Summer Institute (July 31-August 4, 2023)
- Attend Advanced AARI on August 8-9, 2023 (for teachers who have already attended the initial training)
- Complete the Qualitative Reading Inventory (QRI) Training
- Self-paced, on-line modules available on MiPlace NOW!